Skip to content
Prep Your Quilt for Quilting Checklist
- Check for and repair loose seams.
- Press all seams flat.
- Remove loose threads from the front and darker threads from the back.
- The quilt top must lay flat to prevent puckering and folds.
TIP: Measure your quilt top along the top, bottom and center. Even measurements indicate a flat top.
- Baste outer edges of pieced borders to prevent stretching.
- Make sure any appliqué is secure.
- Backing and batting must be 8″ longer and wider than the quilt top.
A 4″ allowance on all sides is necessary for maintaining proper tension during quilting.
- Make sure all four sides of your backing have straight edges and are not cut on the bias.
TIP: While holding opposite sides together, the folded area of the fabric should hang smoothly.
- No selvages in a top. Selvages can only be on the outer edges of backing.
TIP: Selvages shrink at a different rate than the rest of the fabric and will cause puckers.
- Tops, batting & backing must be separate for proper loading on the quilting frame.
- NO PINS!
- NO BASTING (except for outer edges of pieced borders)!